What is the oldest horse race in the world?

A man of few words, Richard Burton, who was born in 1846, won the first edition of the English Tour of Horse Races in 1873 at Derby.

The first ever edition of the English Tour of Horse Races was held on May 14th, 1873.

The event was the brainchild of John Woodcutter, the founder of the Derby racecourse.

Woodcutter was the third son of a blacksmith who was given £20 for every blacksmith’s son he could find and ran his own trades. After meeting his second wife Mary, he emigrated to Scotland in 1849. At that time Derby was still known as “The Race track”.

In a little under seven years, Woodcutter took £40,000 worth of prize money and had 2,000 entrants.

With the Derby as the main race, the winner had to win the English Tour.

The famous winner of this first edition was the late John Burton , who was a horse owner who lived in Bury St Edmunds, near Manchester.

Richard Burton at the first English Tour of Horse Races

In the same year, at Bath, the Derby won a second edition.

The original winner was Edward T. Thomas.

With the number of people attending rising, the race was renamed the English Derby.

In 1880 the Derby was repeated in Manchester’s Manchester Park with 100,000 spectators and the winner, Richard Burton, was crowned with a trophy at the Manchester Polo Grounds.

The Manchester Derby now attracts more people than other races in the United Kingdom, and the race has gone on to win the National Stakes a record eight times.

In 2010, the National Stakes for male horses were established.

On May 23 of that year, the Derby was held at Croft, and winner Richard Burton was again crowned with a trophy. During his career, the Derby has won the National Stakes for both of its races for seven times, the National Crown for two centuries and the Crown in the Stakes for more than 60 years before that.

The Grand National

In the 1890s, the racecourse was turned into a grandstand and a grandstand circuit with a 1,400ft (400m) run.

The first Grand National took place in 1896.

The racecourse was enlarged again in 1907 and by 1913 it could hold 60,000 spectators. This was also the biggest British race in