The social dance class we teach at the University of Alabama every fall, which is an intercultural dance class, is called the intercultural dance workshop. In the workshop, we explain dance language to students who are not able or willing to learn dance; we also present dance language to those who are fluent in dance; and we give workshops focusing on the language and cultural backgrounds of dancers. We invite dancers to participate in the social dance class.
What is intercultural dance? What is an intercultural dance workshop?
Intercultural dance is a type of dance music that includes traditional elements, such as drumming, jazz, and Latin rhythms, as well as new and alternative sounds. In some forms of intercultural dance music, students learn the language of their dance community. The participants at our university dance community are people of many cultural backgrounds. This dance music has many advantages for those who are learning dance.
What are the different types of social dance?
There are different kinds of social dance:
1. The classroom dance: This is a dance where students and staff perform together to a song. This dance is typically held in the classroom when classes are in session.
2. The dance group: This dance has dance rehearsals. Students and staff sing together to a song that is a set number of beats.
3. The workshop dance: Students are invited to participate as part of a workshop to learn the language and cultural backgrounds of their dance community. This dance is usually held after the dance group has been taught to learn the language.
4. The dance party: Dance parties are a special type of dance that has the added advantage of including people from around the world. These dance parties are held on the campus of the University of Alabama during the school year.
5. The cultural dance workshop: This is a dance to a song that is performed and then described by dance leaders to the participants.
Does my degree in dance mean that I can participate in the social dance community?
Yes, your degree in dance is useful in several ways:
1. It establishes your connection with the University of Alabama and our dance community. Your degree in dance is a major course in arts education that students need to take to complete their degree.
2. It is helpful to your social dance and musical skills. It teaches your ability to sing and dance and your ability to interact with people from various backgrounds.
What is the difference between the classroom and dance dance
social ballroom dancing, dance that tells a story, most popular social dances, dance and body, social dances are also called